Monday, March 9, 2015

Laptop Repair Complete!

After I arrived home from donating platelets at the Blood Center I found that the remaining parts I needed to repair my Uncles laptop had arrived. I didn't know the total extent of the laptop's damage because the power button was broken so it wouldn't turn on. I knew that besides the power button, the back of the lid was cracked, the front bezel was cracked, and left LCD screen bracket was broken. It broke where it attaches to the left hinge so it definitely needed to be replaced. The back of the lid was also cracked bad enough that it also needed to be replaced, as two of the screws holes that attach to the right hinge were completely broken off.



I had already replaced the left LCD bracket on Saturday, so what remained was to install the new back cover, power button, and front screen bezel. The power button attaches to the back lid cover so I did those together. The back lid contained various wires and other electronics that were taped down, so had to remove those carefully before transferring them over to the new back cover. Once I got that installed and the LCD screen screwed down I plugged it in and turned it on. Thankfully it booted just fine.

I then took the whole thing out back to blow all the dust out of it before finishing up. I put on the new front screen bezel, put back the keyboard and keyboard bezel, and finally put back the hard drive and battery. It again booted up fine, which was a relief, so then moved on to software updates. I updated the BIOS, did all the needed Windows Updates, installed a few missing drivers, and updated some others. So far it seems to be working good as new!

3 comments:

  1. It’s great that you managed to fix your uncle’s laptop. He must’ve been really happy that he didn’t have to lose all his files in the process. Anyway, I’m sure people would appreciate it if you post a step-by-step on how you fixed it. Good day!

    Alison Henderson @ Expert Computer Repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a great nephew for fixing your Uncle's laptop! Troubleshooting computer problems that are related to LCD is crucial as you had to deal with very tiny capacitors that are complexly attached inside. I'm sure your Uncle is grateful for your help, as you possibly saved him from buying a new laptop. Great job!

    Brian Hopkins @ Microtips USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wana thank you for providing such informative and qualitative material so often.iPhone repair nottingham

    ReplyDelete