Saturday, November 18, 2017

Warming Up?

A little over a week ago it got cold enough to warrant kicking on the heater. Unfortunately, when I tried to do so nothing seemed to happen. I heard the familiar click that occurs when the heater first turns on, but after that there was nothing. I then tried to manually turn the fan on, and that didn't come on either. We had this same problem back in March and had someone come from Service 1 Heating & Air Conditioning come to service it. He said something had overheated which flipped a switch, sort of like a breaker, and that it had to be manually reset. He then swapped it out for an automatic one that wouldn't need to be manually reset if it happened again. He checked that it was working before he left, but then a couple days later when we tried to use it again it wouldn't turn on. I was going to call him back in the morning but by the time morning rolled around the heater was working.

I thought maybe the same thing would happen this time so we waited a couple days to see if the heater would kick in. On the morning of the third day I went up into the attic and did the pilot light reset procedure to see if that would help. The reset procedure didn't seem to help, but while I was up there I noticed the heater was warm which got me to thinking that perhaps it was only the fan, not the heater, that wasn't working right. Even with the heater off I couldn't manually switch on the fan; every time I tried, nothing happened. So I thought maybe the overheating of the heater was due to the fan not blowing air through it. I turned off the heater, and later in the afternoon just before calling Service 1 Heating & Air Conditioning I tried turning on the fan one more time, and this time it worked! I still called because I don't think the guy fixed the actual problem back in March. I got their answering service so I left my name, address, and phone number. As of today I still have not received a call back.

No comments:

Post a Comment