Monday, October 18, 2010

Sprinkler Fix

A couple weeks ago I noticed that one of the sprinklers in the backyard would stay up after the cycle was over instead of going back into the ground. Then a few days ago I noticed that it had actually come completely out of it's housing. So I dug around it all the way down to where it screws in so that I could remove it and put in a new one, but I was unable to unscrew it. I figured my hands were probably too tired from all the digging, and I could probably get it the next day. But when the next day came, I was still unable to remove it, and I didn't have a wrench big enough to fit around the two inch diameter.

So today I went to Harbor Freight to pick up a wrench. I saw this weird looking rubber strap wrench set, so thought I'd give that a try, but once back at home I quickly found that it wasn't going to do the job. So I returned it and picked up a 12" Professional Groove Joint Pliers. And both trips I took coupons with me which snagged me free flashlights, free scissors, and 20% off of my purchase. Anyway, these pliers enabled me to get the top screw-on cap removed, but I still couldn't get the base loose.

Not knowing what else to do, I took the internal components of the sprinkler to Lowe's and found a replacement sprinkler that would fit them, because if the old components fit in this new sprinkler then the components of the new sprinkler should fit in the housing of the old sprinkler. And thankfully, it worked. I got home and slid the new sprinkler components in with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment